Most of us love the thought of a smokey eye, yet find it very intimidating. A brown smokey eye, rather than using black/grey shadows, is a great alternative! Follow this step by step guide, and let us know how it turns out! xoxo
1. Prime your eyes. Primer is amazing for keeping your make-up lasting all night. Dot it on your eyelid, as seen in the photo above, and use your ring finger to blend it in. We used ELF’s Eyelid Primer, but if you don’t have a primer in your make-up bag than your concealer will work just fine!
2. Line the upper lid. The line does not need to be perfect, in fact, it shouldn’t be! Your eyeshadow and liner will eventually cover this line. We used the darkest brown shadow with some shimmer (Column 3, Row 10) in ELF’s eyeshadow palette. We also really like to use liquid eyeliner for this step. If you choose to go liquid, try Almay’s intense i-color liquid liner in Brown Topaz.
3. Smudge eyeshadow in outer corner and crease. Start at the outer 1/3 corner of your eye lid and sweep the shadow out wards toward your temple. Bring the same shadow up and around into your crease. We like to shape the shadow into a rounded point on the ends, but if you like a sharper end, go for it! We used a shimmery brown shadow (Column 3, Row 7) from ELF’s eyeshadow palette.
4. Fill in remainder of the lid. Start at the inside of your lid, filling in where there is currently no shadow. Smudge the color into the outer corner and crease to blend the two colors together. We used a shimmery bronze color (Column 3, Row 5) from ELF’s palette.
** Choose an eye shadow that is close to your skin color and a clean eyeshadow brush. Sweep the shadow over your brow bone. Blend it down into your crease to smooth out any harsh lines. You can follow this step with sweeping a light shimmer color on your brow bone and the inner most corner of your lid. We used a shimmery cream (Column 1, Row 7) from ELF’s eyeshadow palette.
5. Line your eyes and apply mascara. Line your upper and lower lash lines with black eyeliner. If you like more eyeliner you can also rim your water lines with liner. We used ELF’s Brightening Eyeliner in Black. Apply mascara and clean up any product left under your eyes.
Voila! Our model is also wearing a sheer light pink gloss on her lips in the above photo.
Products we used: